View Mobile Version | View Web Version
W&D Weekly
March 26, 2014
Newsletter Tools
Forward
Advertise
Subscriptions
Share this Share this Share this
Share:
The Latest
Trulite Sells AWP Windows and Doors to Private Equity Firm

Trulite Glass & Aluminum Solutions LLC sold the assets of AWP Windows and Doors to Deerpath Holdings, a private equity firm that invests in the manufacturing and distribution space. “We are pleased to have reached an agreement with Deerpath Holdings,” says Paul Schmitz, Trulite CEO. “This will allow Trulite to continue focusing on its core competencies while allowing AWP to grow under its new owner.”...read more

 
Mercer Windows to Close its Doors

Mercer Industries, the Oregon-based manufacturer of Mercer Windows, is decreasing its manufacturing operations, citing the lingering effects of the recent recession. Once all existing orders are fulfilled, the company plans to close, affecting approximately 70 employees at its Beaverton, Ore., facility...read more

 
Kommerling to Expand Huntsville Operation

KÖMMERLING Windows & Doors will offer two window and door profile systems to the North American market by expanding the manufacturing capabilities of its Huntsville, Ala., facility. The company showcased the InnoNova 70 M5 Slim tilt/turn window and PremiDoor lift/slide doors during the International Builders' Show to test the market before expanding, it reports...read more

 
Industry Addresses Challenges of Full-Frame Replacement

Full-frame replacement is highly dependent on exterior veneer, existing membrane and type of original installation. The combinations are nearly endless, making standardized instructions difficult to find, or even write for that matter...read more

 

ADVERTISEMENT

 
More News
Weather Shield Expands Marketing Team
Dunbarton Extends Customer Service Operating Hours
SMS Group to Represent MFM Building Products in Maryland, Delaware and Virginia
Chelsea Announces New Hires
The Talk

By Jim Snyder
My wife grew up learning to cook under her mom’s mentorship. She followed recipes, starting with the basics, before tackling more challenging dishes. Today, she rarely uses a recipe, and believe me I am never disappointed.

On occasion, if Jenn wants to take on an unfamiliar dish, she’ll reach for a favorite cookbook and follow a recipe. This prepares her for what to expect, walks her through the process and saves her much trial and error.

In her cookbooks, there is a recipe for virtually any kind of dish. Combining her skill with instruction, she can prepare almost anything.

Fenestration installation requires instruction as well, but at this time, the instruction book does not include all of the necessary “recipes”―especially for full-frame replacement. An outsider to the industry might ask, “Why not? We replace full frames all the time.” But to those of us immersed in the industry, we understand the complexity of many full-frame replacements.

I address this in my latest column, “Fenestration Replacement Presents Its Own Set of Challenges,” and I’d like to hear your thoughts on the subject. Please take a moment to take our survey, post a comment or contact me with your thoughts.
As a fenestration manufacturer, are you creating full-frame replacement instructional material?
Yes, we already have some in place.
Yes, we are in the process of writing them.
No, they are not a high enough priority.
No, they are not necessary.
 

Do You Blog?
About 40 percent of respondents to last week's poll said they do have a blog that they regularly update, while the remaining 60 percent of respondents are equally split in their varying perceptions of blogs. See the full survey results…

ADVERTISEMENT
ROAD TO GLASSBUILD
Innovation from all over the world is on display yearly at GlassBuild America. In this week's edition of the Road to GlassBuild, we profile a company from the United Kingdom with a product that adds style and color to the traditional window product.

 
The Outside View
New-Home Sales Continue to Trend Relatively Flat in February
From NAHB

 
 
Recent Introductions
 
 
Brought to you by the National Glass Association, publisher of Window & Door and WindowandDoor.com

For information on how to advertise in WDweekly, please contact advertise@windowanddoor.com

We welcome your questions and suggestions about the editorial content of this newsletter.
Contact Editorial Director, Jenni Chase, at JChase@glass.org

To ensure delivery of WDweekly, please add WDweekly@WindowandDoor.com to your email address book.
For more instruction on how to whitelist, please click here.

To subscribe to the print or online issues of Window & Door magazine, click here.

To unsubscribe from this email, please click here.